Sunday, February 02, 2014

Weekend

Saturday was shopping day, beautiful weather, sunny and relatively warm, even out at the farmer's market which seems to have been built in the windiest corner possible. We got all our groceries, took it really easy and came home at lunch time.
I had baked a braided bread for St. Brigid's Day and we ate it as sandwiches for lunch, some with ham and some with jam and we had baked custard for dessert. It has been a long time since I braided something and I messed up the beginning a little, but then remembered how it is done.


I also made another St. Brigid's candle. This time I used some boxwood twigs and cranberries.


 After lunch I baked an apple cake for our afternoon coffee.


Sunday started out nice and sunny but then clouds moved in. It must have been sunny enough for the groundhog to see his shadow. I read up on the traditions surrounding this weekend and how that whole groundhog thing started. It has to do with hibernating animals, if they wake up around this time, Spring is near, if they don't, Winter continues, makes sense to me. And in honor of the little bugger predicting 6 more weeks of Winter - as if we all had not yet had enough of it, I made "groundhog stew" for Sunday lunch (don't worry, it is actually a beef ragout with majoram and sour cream, served over pasta).


As usual I did not do anything creative. But I did take a wander around  blog land to see what others have been up to and found a lot of inspiration. I am looking forward to a very creative and productive month.

Now Del is watching the game online and I am fiddling with some patterns and playing games. It was a good weekend and I hope yours was too.

1 comment:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I love seeing all the wonderful foods you prepare, especially the bread and the apple cake. I wanted to do some baking today for my guys, but it's so warm and humid I'm not sure I want to turn the oven on.
Have a beautiful Monday.