Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Weekend

The temperature was significantly lower this weekend than the weeks before and we decided to tackle the overgrown mess that used to be our garden. After three years of battling all kinds of grass I give up, next year we will try something new. We also finally mowed several months of growth in the south field (where I don't mind the grass) and on the side of the house. The cats are not very happy about that since it took away their hiding spots (yes, the grass was high enough for the kitties to disappear in it when laying down).

Although slightly embarrassed by what has happened to the garden I am going to show some before pictures here (we were occupied with other, more important, things this Summer which contributed greatly to the mess).

And this is what it looks like after about 8 hours of hard labor (luckily without injuries although I did loose balance and fell on my well padded behind once again).

We discovered a 'giant' snake in one of the beds, can you spot the wee beastie in these pictures? I am just glad I did not hurt it with the tool I was using.

And I saw a praying mantis in flight for the first time. It came out of the overgrown azaleas when I pulled off the morning glories and settled on the lilac bush.

While we were working in the garden, MamaCat came proudly trotting in, carrying a bird she caught, when we did not let her take it into the basement (we already found two - alive - birds down there before), she took it into the bushes and ate it, growling at Floyd who was dumb enough to try to take it from her. I wish I could get through to him about not chasing or attacking the girls. I don't understand why all of a sudden they don't get along, they spent all of last Winter in the basement together with no problem and there was even a fourth cat there. Maybe they will get better at getting along once it gets a lot colder.

We had freshly baked apple-cinnamon-raisin muffins for Sunday breakfast and Mexican meatball wraps for lunch (Del's idea and they turned out very yummy).

And while watching some videos I managed to make a few slippers for the "Pink Slipper Project".

1 comment:

Joyce Lucas said...

The slippers are fabulous! Thanks so much for joining hands with the Pink Slipper Project. We're so happy to have you with us.