Monday, October 02, 2006

Week in review


I had a pretty bad week last week. Sometimes I am just way too emotional and get myself into situations that take ages for me to recover from.
Last Sunday night we found a kitten in our apartment complex. Well, we had kittens roaming around here before but they were always with their mother. This one must have somehow become separated from her and he was constantly heading straight for the middle of the road. Since some people mistake our access road (speed limit 12 mph) for a race track, seeing him smashed in the morning seemed inevitable and that was just an unbearable thought for me. I had seen two people pick him up and put him into a safer place and every time I looked out the window, there he was again, in the middle of the road. So we went out and got him. I did not want to bring him into the apartment, after all that Miss Kitty has been through with the move, she has the right to live here knowing that no other cat will ever threaten her territory. Now what to do? It was a very small kitten, about 4 weeks old, dark grey with a white bib and huge blue eyes, totally trusting. We put him into Kitty's carrier to keep him from running into the street again and he made himself happily at home.
In the meantime I tried to call some place where they could tell me what to do with him. The emergency vet is not set up to receive animals, all they could tell me was that the shelter might have a drop off box. Even if they would I don't think I could have just dropped that tiny little kitten into a dark hole in the middle of the night. Besides the county shelter is not a no-kill shelter. I grew desperate as it was getting later and later. Finally I called my friend Angie and she said she has a co-worker who takes in foster animals, she would come by and pick him up. And so she did, half an hour later they drove up, just as a thunderstorm broke lose. We put the little critter into a box and she took him with her.
The next day I asked her about him and she told me that he is fine, he spent the night in their bed, his name is Stormy and she is keeping him. She had just lost a cat 3 weeks ago which she found last Summer at the recycling center.
And although the whole sad story had a happy ending it threw me completely out of the loop. I felt awful all week long, totally off center. It causes me a lot of stress whenever there is an animal in distress but especially when it is a cat or kitten. I have been crazy about cats ever since I was a kid.
On Wednesday we went to apply for my social security number, it will take about two weeks to get here.
By Friday I was feeling a bit better and we got our usual grocery shopping done. We did not go out for dinner this week, we got BBQ takeout instead.
Saturday morning we went to the Farmer's Market, which I always enjoy and then we headed to Thomasville for a big street fair, called Everybody's Day. That was a bit too much for me, I am no longer used to having so many people in one place. ;) I also called my mother and found out that my brother is in the hospital but they are not yet sure what is wrong with him, he probably needs some serious lifestyle changes (weight loss, quit smoking).
Sunday morning we went for a long walk in the park, we walked and walked, it felt so good, the weather was perfect, a sunny Fall morning, not too warm, not too cool. We walked 4 miles instead of our usual 3 and it felt great. After our walk we stopped at our storage facility to get some stuff out of our boxes. Then we had a very late lunch and watched the race.
I did manage to get my daily bible studies done though, the new study of the Psalms does me good and I learn a lot from it. I did not make either quilt block for last week but I hope to catch up with that this week. I am still on track with the weight loss program but have not been very good at exercising, we'll go back to walking in the evenings this week.
The stressful week ended way better than it had begun.
Today I am feeling pretty good and I have a lot more energy than I had last week and I also have a rather long to-do list, so I better get started on that. ;)

No comments: